About the Principal
Annette Landry has more than 20 years of experience in BKW schools, serving as a guidance counselor from 1996 to 2015, and serving as acting assistant principal and athletic director at Berne-Knox-Westerlo secondary school in 2015-16, before becoming elementary principal. She is a 1988 graduate of BKW.
January 11, 2021
Dear BKW Parents and Guardians,
Happy New Year!
As I shared in my December letter, this week begins the start of our mid-year benchmark assessments. Students in grades K-6 will be taking their iReady and F &P assessments with their teachers during the coming weeks. Recently, some parents have inquired about the purpose for the online tests. Hopefully, the information provided below will help to clarify the purpose of the iReady math and reading assessments for you.
- iReady online tests allow teachers to support your child exactly where their skill level is and provides our teachers with data to increase your student’s learning gains.
- iReady consists of two parts: the Diagnostic (test) and Personalized Instruction (AIS/Enrichment).
- The Diagnostic is an adaptive assessment that adjusts the question in real-time to suit your child’s needs. Each question a student sees during the test is based on the answer to the previous question. For example, a series of correct questions will result in slightly harder questions and vice versa.
- The average amount of testing time for most students will be two, 40 minute sessions for both the math and ELA portion.
- The second component of the iReady program is the Personalized Instruction. Our teachers review and use the data from the test to carefully set lessons in the system tailored to your child’s individualized skill level and needs. These lessons are fun and interactive to keep your child engaged while they practice their targeted skills.
In short, the iReady online program addresses individual learning gaps and areas of strength for each child individually, allowing teachers to continue teaching grade-level content along with targeted support as necessary.
Please feel free to reach out to your child’s teacher with any additional questions you may have regarding online testing and your child.
Thank you for your continued support of our faculty and staff while we continue to grow our students amid the pandemic.