Governor Cuomo has stated that “high-risk” sports may begin play as of February 1, pending the approval of local Albany County Department of Health. Our local health department has stated that our high-risk winter sports of JV/varsity basketball, JV/varsity wrestling and varsity cheerleading can begin once the following qualifications are met:
- Each school district’s Board of Education or non-public school’s Board of Directors (or other appropriate person/entity) must approve the district/school’s participation in each specific higher-risk sport.
- Each school superintendent/school leader must oversee the creation of a sport-specific preparedness plan, to be approved by the district/school’s medical director.
- Each parent/guardian must sign an informed consent.
- Each student-athlete must have medical clearance from their healthcare provider.
- Each parent/guardian, student-athlete, and school official must agree to fully cooperate with case investigations and contact elicitation and to adhere to isolation and quarantine orders.
- Each district/school must establish a confidential phone number and email address to allow student athletes, parents, or others to report concerns.
- The 7-day rolling average percent positivity in the county, as calculated by NYSDOH, must be at or below 4.0%. If the 7-day rolling average percent positivity is above 4.0%, then activities must be restricted to individual or distanced group training or organized no/low-contact group training.
- The region’s hospital capacity (percent of hospital beds available) must be above 15%, as calculated by NYSDOH.
In anticipation of meeting these requirements, please make sure the following are on file with the school district:
- A valid physical from either 2018-19, 2019-20 or 2020-21 with the school nurse.
- An athletic registration has been completed on bkwschools.org.
- A high risk sports parental permission form with the athletic office.
High Risk Sports Permission Form
- A high risk sports medical authorization form with the athletic office.
High Risk Sports Medical Authorization Form
Hard copies of both forms will be sent home with report cards.
Please reach out to Athletic Director Tom Galvin (Tom.Galvin@bkwschools.org) with any questions.