2021-22 Budget Development Calendar
- January-March: Board of Education & administration discuss budget needs for next year’s programs and services
- March 1: Board of Education (School Board) candidate nominating petitions become available and are due by 5 p.m. on April 19
- March – April: Board and administration develop proposed 2021-22 budget
- April – May: Budget legal notice published in newspaper
- April 19: Board of Education adopts proposed 2021-22 budget
- May 4: Public Budget Hearing & Board of Education Meeting, 7 p.m. via GoogleMeet at https://meet.google.com/vwc-qmvr-bkp
Join by phone by calling 1-401-646-2399
- Early May: Budget notice newsletter mailed to district residents
- May 18: Budget & Board of Education vote, 6 a.m.- 8 p.m., BKW Elementary School
2020-21 BKW district budget and propositions approved, two incumbents re-elected to school board
BKW school district residents have approved a $23.4 million district budget for the 2020-21 school year by a vote of 838-305. Two other propositions also passed. The vote was held by absentee ballot due to the COVID-19 pandemic and the votes were counted tonight, June 16.
Two incumbent candidates, Nathan Elble and Kimberly Lovell, were also re-elected to the Board of Education for new three-year terms beginning July 1, 2020. They ran unopposed for office. Elble received 903 votes and Lovell received 898 votes.
District voters approved two other propositions that appear on the June, 2020 ballot. One proposition sought voter approval to allow the district to purchase three (3) 72-passenger school buses and two (2) 28-passenger school buses at a cost not to exceed $489,000. The district will use $150,000 from
the Transportation Reserve Fund toward the purchases. That proposition passed 797-344.
Another proposition asks for voter approval to transfer up to $90,000 from the district’s Unemployment Insurance Payment Reserve Fund to the Repair Reserve Fund for repairs to capital improvements or equipment. This proposition has no tax impact. That proposition passed 787-344.
2020-21 District Budget Development
The BKW Board of Education adopted a $23.4 million proposed budget for the 2020-21 school year on May 11. The school board held a public hearing on the proposed budget on May 26. Access the link below to watch the budget hearing recorded on Facebook Live:
2020-21 Budget Documents
- 2020-21 Budget Highlights
- 2020-21 Budget Postcard, Voting Information, School Budget Notice, Propositions and School Board Elections
- 2020-21 Property Report Card
- 2020-20 Budget Comparison and 3-Part Budget
- 2020-21 Budget Exemption Impact Reports
- Required Compensation Information 2020-21
- 2020-201 Fiscal Accountability Summary
- 2018-19 District NYS Report Card
Tax rates are set by the Board of Education in August.
School tax bills were mailed to residents on Aug. 31, 2020. Tax bills are penalty-free if paid by Oct. 5, 2020; on Oct. 6, a 2 percent penalty is added to bills. All bills must be postmarked by Oct. 31, 2020.
District residents can look up information about past and present school tax bills by clicking on the Tax Bill Lookup link in the righthand column of this page.
If you have any questions regarding your assessment or exemptions, or a change of address to report, contact a local assessor at the following numbers:
- Town of Berne: (518) 872-1448
- Town of Knox: (518) 669-6459
- Town of Middleburgh: (518) 827-4887
- Town of New Scotland: (518) 439-9020
- Town of Rensselaerville: (518) 797-3798
- Town of Westerlo: (518) 797-9265
- Town of Wright: (518) 872-9726