The Board of Regents adopted new P-12 Science Learning Standards in December 2016 and revised Next Generation English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics Learning Standards in September 2017. The Regents and the State Education Department also adopted timelines for the standards’ implementation that were revised due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The new and revised standards were developed following years of collaborative work with a goal of ensuring that the state has the best learning standards for students. The changes aimed to improve clarity, reduce repetition and ensure that academic goals align appropriately with each grade level. The new standards also aim to provide teachers with better support in their instruction.
Work to implement the standards in a thoughtful manner has been ongoing, with the Board of Regents and State Education Department committed to timelines that prioritize student needs and professional learning for educators. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, implementation timelines were updated to allow one additional year for professional learning and curriculum development prior to implementation.
The timeline for the implementation of the Next Generation Learning Standards in ELA and Mathematics is as follows:
• September 2017: Adoption of NYS Next Generation Learning Standards (NGLS)
• Phase I: Raise Awareness (Winter 2018-Winter/Spring 2019)
• Phase II: Build Capacity (2018-19, 2019-20, 2020-21, and 2021-22)
• Phase III: Full Implementation (September 2022 – ongoing)
• Spring 2023: New grades 3-8 tests measuring the NGLS in ELA and Mathematics
• June 2024: First administration of Regents Exam in Algebra I measuring the NGLS in Mathematics
• June 2025: First administration of Regents Exam in Geometry measuring the NGLS in Mathematics
• June 2026: First administration of Regents Exam in ELA measuring the NGLS in ELA and Regents Exam in Algebra II measuring the NGLS in Mathematics
The final administration Grade 4 Elementary-Level Science Test was moved from Spring 2021 to Spring 2022. The final administration of this test and the last two administrations of the Grade 8 Intermediate-Level Science test in Spring 2022 and Spring 2023 will be aligned to the Core Curriculum. The first administration of the new Grade 5 and Grade 8 Science Tests aligned to the NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards will now take place in June 2024.
The timeline for the implementation of the NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards is as follows:
• December 2016: Adoption of NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards (P12SLS)
• Phase I: Raise Awareness and Build Capacity (Summer 2017-Summer 2019)
• Phase II: Transition and Implementation (September 2019-Summer 2023)
• Phase III: Implementation and Sustainability (September 2023 – ongoing)
• Spring 2024: First administration of new Elementary Grade 5 and Intermediate Grade 8 science tests aligned to the P12SLS
• June 2025: First administration of Regents Exams in Biology and Earth & Space Science measuring the P12SLS
• June 2026: First administration of Regents Exams in Chemistry and Physics measuring the P12SLS