March 6, 2019
Dear BKW Parents/Guardians
It is hard to believe but it is already that time of year again where we have begun our preparations for the 3-6 NYS standardized assessments. This year, ELA exams will be administered during the first week of April, with Math during the first week in May. The chart below lists all of the testing dates for the 2018-19 school year for your convenience.
- ELA Grade 3 April 1-2
- ELA Grades 4 April 3-4
- ELA Grades 5-6 April 2-3
- Math Grades 3-6 May 1-2
- Science Grade 4 Performance Test May 22
- Science Grade 4 Written Test June 3
- ELA make-ups April 5-8
- Math make-ups May 3-6
- Science make-ups June 4
The testing dates vary some because our third and fourth graders will be taking their ELA exam on computers in the computer lab and libraries. We have been very impressed with the ease and aptitude these youngsters have demonstrated in practicing for this new testing format.
Please note, all students in grades 5-6 will continue be assessed using the traditional ELA paper-based exams and all math exams will be administered using the paper-based format for the 2019 school year.
As many of you are aware, the New York State Education Department has listened to concerns regarding the structure, format and purpose of these assessments and has made improvements in recent years which I wanted to be sure and share with you.
- The tests are now given over two days, with fewer questions.
- The tests are untimed, allowing students the opportunity to do their best work and work at their own pace.
- NYS teachers have assisted in the development of the test questions and scoring of the exams.
- Score reports for parents are clearer and provide more feedback on individual student performance
Additionally, there will be no alternate location for students to opt-out during the assessments. The information gathered from these assessments is used to identify our students’ strengths and areas where they may benefit from additional targeted support and instruction.
As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.
BKW Elementary Principal